If you have a commercial drivers license then you must have a physical every two years unless you are being monitored for some medical problem such as high blood pressure or a heart problem. We do physicals fast and inexpensive. We don't believe that you need to wait days or weeks to get your physical. Come in today or call us to schedule your appointment, because our prices are the lowest in the Modesto region.
Why do you need a DOT / DMV Physical:
The Motor Carrier Safety Act of 1935 gave the Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC) the authority to require medical certification for operators of motor vehicles. A physical examination with a certificate were required effective January 1, 1954. The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) was created in 1970 and assumed the responsibility for drivers medical qualifications. The Motor Carrier Act of 1984, Federal Title 49, Part 391.41 is the legal authority guiding medical evaluation
Drivers of all commercial vehicles are required to have a medical examination. A commercial motor vehicle is any self-propelled or towed vehicle used on public highways in interstate commerce to transport passenger or property when:
- The vehicle's gross weight rating or gross combination is over 10,000 pounds
- The vehicle is designed to transport more than 15 passengers including the driver; or
- The vehicle is used in the transportation of hazardous materials in quantities requiring placarding under the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act
- The purpose of a medical examiner is to protect public safety
- Assist with health issues that affect the driver's ability to operate a motor vehicle safely
- Detect unrecognized health problems
- Coordinate medical issues with the driver's personal physician help companies to meet regulations in 49CFR 391
Exams are required every 24 months or as directed by the examining practitioner, or when any driver's ability to perform his/her normal duties has been impaired by physical or mental injury or disease. Transportation firms need to be aware that inferior quality exams are to be avoided - they do not save money and they increase the liability of your company.
Romo Chiropractic has dedicated itself to bringing the safest and most up-to-date professional approach to the DOT Medical Examination / DMV Physical in the Modesto Area.
What to expect at your visit
We will Review you Health History and perform the following examination:
- Review of your health history
- Vision Test - Corrected Vision at least 20/40 (Snellen), Uncorrected Vision at least 20/40 (Snellen), Binocular acuity at least 20/40 (Snellen), Horizontal Field of Vision at lease 70 degrees, and the abilty to recognize the color of traffic signals.
- Hearing - first perceives a forced whispered voice in the better ear at no less than 5 feet with or without hearing aid.
- Blood Pressure / Pulse Rate - no current clinical diagnosis of high blood pressure likely to interfere with the ability to operate a commercial motor vehicle safely
- Laboratory Urinalysis Testing * - Protein, blood or sugar in the urine may be indication for further testing to rule out any underlying medical problem. ($16 fee)
- Physical Examination - Check body systems such as General Appearance, Eyes, Ears, Mouth & throat, Lungs & chest, Abdomen & Viscera, Vascular System, Genito-urinary System, Extremities - Lim impaired, Spine & musculoskeletal, and Neurological
We'll complete your Medical Examination Report DL 51 (PDF) for Commercial Driver Fitness Determination form, give you a summary of your exam and provide a Medical Examiner's Certificate as appropriate.